Wednesday 10 January 2007

Umputers & Ubuntu

I've been thinking of changing to linux on and off for ... well forever. Tried it once, but the multi boot set up drove me insane. Now I've lost the white jacket (it's so awkward to tie your sleeves behind your back) I'm thinking of having another go.

The best reason in the world is attached. It's free. Well, ok, that's the second best reason. the first would be it's very solid, unlike every flavour of windows.

So which variety of linux? I'm going to try Ubuntu.
It does everything I need ... and provided I can find suitable music applications, I'm gonna wave goodbye to Bill G forever! Yay.

Ubuntu? What does this silly name mean???

Ubuntu is an African concept of "humanity towards others". It's "the belief in a universal bond of sharing that connects all humanity". The same ideas are central to the way the Ubuntu community collaborates. Members of the Ubuntu community need to work together effectively, and this code of conduct lays down the "ground rules" for our cooperation.

Desmond Tutu described ubuntu in the following way: "A person with ubuntu is open and available to others, affirming of others, does not feel threatened that others are able and good, for he or she has a proper self-assurance that comes from knowing that he or she belongs in a greater whole."

So there you have it. Ubuntu.

---
Seraph chapter seven - 'The Bunker' is now back from the menders, and is available. I've also written a short for Valentines entitled 'The Card'.

Erm, that's about it for now - Oh! My adsl is back on the 15th. Double yay, and a 'thank fuck for that'.

3 comments:

Kitty said...

Ubuntu ... I really like that. Do you mind if I quote it in my blog? (The quote from Archbishop Tut, in particular.)

Kitty said...

Oops ... Tutu, that is.

(I hate it when that happens.)

Camy said...

Please, quote away! I'm sure Archbishop Tutu wouldn't mind ;)